The MTCIA is the only cannabis trade association in the state. The association includes large, mid-size, and small providers.
Medical marijuana has been legal in Montana since 2004. Since 2011, the MTCIA has been the leader in protecting access and shaping public policy by responding to state developments and forwarding necessary regulatory structures.
- In the Courts: MTCIA protected medical cannabis access for five years, going to the state Supreme Court twice to assure the continuation of a functional medical marijuana program in Montana.
- Utilizing the Initiative Process: The MTCIA forwarded Montana’s second medical marijuana initiative in 2016 to assure continuation of the medical marijuana program and to introduce necessary oversite mechanisms.
- Leading at the State Legislature: The MTCIA has been the leader at the state legislature forwarding successful regulatory legislation in 2017 and 2019.
- Monitoring the Administrative Process: The MTCIA has tracked and responded to the rulemaking process in Montana, including whistleblowing on corruption and working to steer the state toward proper implementation of the law.
The MTCIA hsd been the leader in developing regulatory structure for the provision of medical marijuana in Montana. Our values include:
- a safe system for customers, communities, and providers
- clear lines between the state program and black market
- transparency at all levels
- adequate regulatory infrastructure to support market activity
- fair competition
See our timeline-at-a-glance to learn about the work of the MTCIA in Montana.